Raluca has assisted numerous clients with immigration matters ranging from family-based and individual immigration applications, to employment related visas. Originally from Romania, she utilized her personal experience as an immigrant to develop a special interest in Immigration Law.
Raluca is well versed in all aspects related to U.S. citizenship and naturalization, adjustment of status to permanent residence (green card), consular processing for immigrant visas, spouse visas, fiancé(e) visas or other family-based visas, H-1B and other work and business visas, student visas, J-1 visas and waivers, asylum, Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), and issues related to the I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification, among others.
In addition to her immigration practice, she also has an extensive background in Employment Law. She assists companies in a number of areas, including but not limited to claims of workplace discrimination, harassment and retaliation, termination and constructive discharge, workplace investigations by state and federal agencies, as well as employment litigation.
Clients and Notable Representations
Raluca’s immigration clients typically include individuals seeking to obtain a U.S. visa, permanent residence (green card) or U.S. citizenship for themselves or their family members; employers of all sizes wishing to hire foreign workers; businesses of all sizes that are going through an internal or government I-9 audit. Raluca has successfully represented individuals in proceedings before the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), as well as the U.S. Department of State through its U.S. Consulates abroad.
Raluca’s employment law clients typically include businesses from a variety of industries that are facing litigation or disputes stemming from employment-related issues, or that wish to implement or revise their employment policies and procedures. Among other notable contributions, Raluca assisted two of the firm’s partners in securing summary judgment for the employer and against the government in Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (“EEOC”) v. Flambeau, Inc., Case No. 14-cv-638 (W.D. Wis. 2015), a case of first impression in the Seventh Appellate Circuit, dealing with the conflict between the company’s wellness program and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
Articles and Presentations
Raluca is a regular blog contributor, bringing timely updates on hot issues in the immigration and employment law fields. She has also presented on immigration issues to individuals and businesses alike, and she has been invited as a guest speaker at the University of Wisconsin Law School’s legal clinics.
- "I-9 Glitch Causes Errors in SSN Information." Immigration Law Blog, April 2017
- "New Travel Ban Executive Order to Take Effect March 16, 2017." Immigration Law Blog, March 2017
- "An Update on Trump's Executive Order on Immigration." The Capital City Hues, February 2016
- "Executive Order Affecting Immigrants and Visa Holders from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen." Immigration Law Blog, February 2017
- "H-1B Work Visa Season Is Coming Up." Employment Law Blog, January 2017
- "New I-9 Form Version Has Been Released," Employment Law Blog, November 2016
- "Government Fees for Certain Immigration Applications Increasing on December 23, 2016," Immigration Law Blog, October 2016
- "New I-9 Form Version Expected by November 22, 2016," Employment Law Blog, October 2016
- "Looking for a Start-up Visa? This New Proposal May Be the Alternative," Immigration Law Blog, August 2016
- "U.S. Supreme Court Affirms Decision Blocking President Obama’s Immigration Executive Action," Immigration Law Blog, July 2016
- "EEOC Pursues Claims of Workplace Discrimination Filed By Legal and Illegal Immigrant Workers Alike," Employment Law Blog, June 2016
- "Expired Form I-9 Still In Use Until Further Notice From USCIS," Immigration and Employment Law Blog, May 2016
- "I-9 and E-Verify Compliance, Flat Fee Assessment Service," Immigration and Employment Law Blog, May 2016
- "U.S. Customs and Border Protection Using Facial Recognition Technology at John F. Kennedy International Airport," Immigration Law Blog, April 2016
- "Annual Cap for H-1B Skilled Worker Visas Again Reached Within First Five Days," Immigration Law Blog, April 2016
- "The New STEM OPT Work Authorization for Foreign Students," Immigration Law Blog, March 2016
- "DeWitt Helps Client Secure Big Win Against EEOC in Widely-Reported Employee Wellness Case," Employment Law Blog, January 2016
- "Get Ready for the New H-1B Work Visa Filing Season," Immigration Law Blog, January 2016
- "Executive Action on Immigration - DACA and DAPA Updates," Immigration Blog, January 2016
- "Green Card Eligibility and Process: Family Petitions," Immigration Blog, January 2016
- "Changes to Visa Waiver Program for ESTA Travelers," Immigration Law Blog, December 2015
- "Department of Homeland Security Takes Steps Toward a New STEM OPT Extension Program," Immigration Law Blog, October 2015
- "Retailer’s Employee Dress Policy in Violation of Religious Anti-discrimination Law," Employment Law Blog, August 2015
- "U.S. Department of Labor Issues New FMLA Forms," Employment Law Blog, July 2015
- "10 Questions Raluca Vais-Ottosen: A Long Journey from Romania to Wisconsin," Wisconsin Lawyer, April 2015
- "International Students Statistics," Immigration Blog, March 2015
- "EEOC Increasing Enforcement Efforts to Prohibit Employment Discrimination against LGBT Individuals," Employment Law Blog, March 2015
- "Final Rule Extending Employment Authorization to Certain H-4 Dependent Spouses," Immigration Blog, March 2015
- "Is Your Company in Compliance or Facing Fines? | The I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification Process," Immigration Blog, January 2015
- "H-1B Specialty Occupation Visa – The Filing Period Is Fast Approaching," Immigration Blog, January 2015