Mai Lee focuses her practice on assisting with health care compliance and transaction matters. She advises on complex and overlapping federal and state laws, regulations, and sub-regulatory guidance. Mai Lee not only provides legal advice, but finds solutions based on her insight and knowledge built from practical work experience for health care organizations. She works with clients on responding to issues as well as proactively structuring and monitoring their business practices. Mai Lee looks at issues from the client’s perspective and uses the law to develop a plan and written materials that works for the client.
Mai Lee has assisted health care companies, insurance, health plans, providers, durable medical equipment manufacturers, clinical laboratories, nonprofit agencies, government entities, nursing homes, assisted living facilities, and other long-term care providers – any client seeking assistance with corporate compliance programs and health care laws.
- Routinely provide legal counsel to health care entities on federal/state laws and regulations.
- Advise regional health plan on compliance and regulatory matters.
- Perform independent evaluation of compliance program effectiveness.
- Successfully managed implementation of a Corporate Integrity Agreement, including preparation and submission of implementation and annual reports to the Office of Inspector General of Health and Human Services.
- Advised nonprofit organization by drafting and revising governance and employment policies.
- Prepared Medicare Advantage sponsor for Part C and Part D Program Audits by conducting mock audits and served as compliance consultant during audit by Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services.
- Advise on and prepare materials to comply with Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and Minnesota’s Health Records Act.
Articles & Presentations
- "Ethical Considerations in Contract Drafting and Negotiation" Health Law Institute, Minnesota CLE, MSBA Food Drug and Device Law Section and the MSBA Health Law Section, June 2019
- “Healthcare Provider Self-Disclosures in 2018 Resulted in $73 Million,” DeWitt North Star Update, February 2019
- "SNF Compliance & Ethics Program" CareProviders of Minnesota, Annual Convention, November 2018
- “2018 Nursing Home and Assisted Living Update,” Health Law Institute, Minnesota CLE, MSBA Food Drug and Device Law Section and the MSBA Health Law Section, June 2018
- “Skilled Nursing Facility Compliance and Ethics Program,” CareProviders of Minnesota, Annual Convention, November 2017
- “Advocating for an Annual Compliance Program Review,” Compliance Today Magazine, Health Care Compliance Association, January 2017
- “Health Care Compliance for Start-Up Companies,” TreeHouse Health, Minneapolis, Minnesota, October 2016
- “Mandates Council: How to Implement an Enterprise-wide Governance and Reporting Structure to Ensure Compliance with Federal and State Laws,” BlueCross BlueShield 2015 National Summit, Phoenix, Arizona, April 2015