Kai is a civil litigation associate in DeWitt’s Madison office. He has been called on to litigate various types of cases before both state and federal courts, including appeals, intellectual property litigation, employment law matters, and business disputes, among others. Kai also assists the firm’s intellectual property team by obtaining federal trademark protections for its clients, and assists the immigration practice group on employment-based matters. He also provides assistance and research to the firm's transportation and logistics team.
Although his practice spans several areas of the law, the common thread of Kai’s advocacy is his clear, compelling writing. Cases are often won or lost long before trial, based on the parties’ written arguments to the Court. Kai’s unique background and experience navigating various types of cases enable him to solve complex legal problems and communicate legal arguments in an engaging and accessible manner.
Recently, Kai’s work has included the following:
- Cascade Mountain Land Holdings, LLC v. American Transmission Company LLC et al., Columbia County Case No. 17-CV-368, (2019); successfully representing a property-owner client involved in an eminent domain dispute, helping to obtain a multi-million dollar just compensation verdict against American Transmission Company (“ATC”) following a two-week-plus jury trial, in connection to ATC’s Badger-Coulee transmission line project. Because the condemnation verdict was more than 15% greater than ATC’s final jurisdictional offer, ATC was also legally obligated to reimburse DeWitt’s client for all reasonable attorneys’ fees and expenses it incurred in the litigation.
- Winning full summary judgment in federal court for a local business owner defending against breach of contract and breach of loyalty claims, enabling the client to collect a substantial settlement from the party that initiated the lawsuit.
- Authoring an appellate brief to the Wisconsin Court of Appeals, which resulted in a ruling to reverse the trial court’s decision on several key points.
- Defending a Wisconsin business against allegations that its product infringed an out-of-state company’s patent, allowing the business to dismiss the lawsuit on favorable terms.
- Representing a Madison nonprofit organization in a small claims trial, winning complete recovery on a breach of contract dispute.
Kai graduated cum laude from the University of Wisconsin Law School, where he was a Senior Managing Editor of the Wisconsin International Law Journal, earned the Dean’s Academic Achievement Award, and was named to the Dean’s List. Kai also gained advocacy experience during law school by representing individuals in proceedings before the Immigration Court as a member of the Immigrant Justice Clinic. Prior to law school, Kai studied international politics and competed in Division II cross country at Winona State University.
Kai is a nature and wildlife photographer, as well, and takes every opportunity to explore the natural areas of Wisconsin and beyond. He is also an ardent Manchester United supporter, and goes to great lengths to never miss a match.
Articles & Presentations