John concentrates his practice in the area of Civil Litigation with an emphasis on construction litigation and products liability litigation. He also has experience with asbestos defense and other personal injury and insurance defense matters.
John represents a large variety of clients, including large construction and pest-control companies, international manufacturers, and other corporations and insurance companies.
- Secured a Rule 12 dismissal of commercial property damage lawsuit against a national pest control vendor in the Northern District of Illinois based on federal venue statutes.
- Successfully pursued defense and indemnity claims for general contractor against subs to obtain defense costs and settlement in construction defect case with damage claim exceeding $20 million.
- Successfully defended negligence action brought against insurance agency both at district court level and on appeal before the Supreme Court of North Dakota.
- Successfully litigated and tried to verdict a creditor’s nondischargeability fraud action against former investment advisor in Bankruptcy Court adversary proceeding.
Articles and Presentations
- “Professional Liability Law,” Engineering Law and Ethics, Halfmoon Education, May 10, 2018.
- "Keeping the Beetles Out of Our Food Products: A FIFRA Preemption Update," Minnesota Defense, Fall 2017
- “The Trial Lawyer’s Guide to Mandatory Arbitration Clauses,” Minnesota Defense Lawyers Association, May 24, 2017
- “The Law of Attraction: Marketing and Attorney Development Tops for DRI’s Young Lawyers,” Defense Research Institute’s The Whisper, September 2016
- “A Look at Implied Indemnification Under Minnesota Limited Liability Company Act,” Attorney at Law Magazine, January 2014