While representing an architectural firm in a complex litigation matter, Holly received national recognition for her adept handling of the case. Her practice is focused primarily in the area of construction litigation with a niche focus on representing design professionals and sureties. She is a proactive attorney who has an in-depth understanding of the business threats and opportunities her clients face and she manages her clients’ litigation portfolios with a view towards providing effective and efficient services. Her experience includes negotiation of contracts, representation of clients through trials, appeals, arbitrations, mediations and other pre-trial proceedings.
Types of Clients
She has represented local and national companies of varying size in numerous litigation cases with claims ranging from under $100,000 to over $300,000,000.
- Construction Litigation
- Successfully defended architect on multi-million dollar architectural copyright infringement claim.
- Defended architects and engineers on construction/design defect claims.
- Defended architects, engineers and surveyors on professional liability claims.
- Represented the owner of a construction company on product liability case.
- Represented contractors in mechanic’s lien and bond actions.
- Represented Sureties in actions against principals and indemnitors.
- Argued appeals in various construction-related claims.
- Regularly drafts agreements for design professionals.
- Provides contract review services on construction or design contracts.
- Develops license and transfer agreements for copyrighted and trademarked materials.
- Assists in developing non-compete, confidentiality, and other provisions for employers.
- Employment Law
- Represented employers in defense of harassment and discrimination claims.
- Represented employer in pursuit of claims for misappropriation of trade secrets, breach of duty of loyalty, fiduciary duty, unfair competition and related claims.
- Represented employer in breach of contract and wage statute claims.
- Professional Liability
- Represented design professionals, attorneys and accountants in defense of malpractice claims.
- Represented professionals in administrative actions before licensing boards.
Articles & Presentations
Holly is a frequent lecturer and has presented on topics related to construction claims, statutes relating to the construction industry, loss prevention for design professionals, contract forms, professional liability, and employment law issues. She has presented at seminars sponsored by Minneapolis/St. Paul Builders Exchange, American Council of Engineering Companies, Minnesota Society of Professional Engineers, and others on various topics including loss prevention for construction industry and design professionals, contract forms, mechanic’s liens, bonds, public contracting, copyright issues, green construction and developments in employment law.
She also provides in-house seminars to architects, engineers, surveyors, and others in the construction industry. Finally, she has presented a number of updates on the Family Medical Leave Act and other employment related topics to HR professionals.
- “Managing Millennials,” DeWitt Employment Law Blog, January 2015
- “Joint Employer Liability on the Rise,” DeWitt Employment Law Blog, September 2014
- “A Step Back From Affirmative Action?” DeWitt Employment Law Blog, April 2014